Italian scientist Vincenzo DiMarzo described the role of the endocannabinoid system (ECS) in human health as helping us to “eat, sleep, relax, protect, and forget.”
Let’s take a closer look at these five key functions:
- Eat: The ECS helps regulate appetite and satiety.
- Sleep: It helps you wind down and get a good night’s sleep.
- Relax: The ECS promotes physical and mental well-being by mitigating stress.
- Protect: It builds brain cells to protect your brain health, promotes healthy metabolism, and modulates your immune system so that it can fend off harmful invaders.
- Forget: Seems like an odd one here but forgetting is an essential component of healthy living. If you remembered every single detail of what happened every second of every day, you wouldn’t be able to function like a sane person. The ECS regulates both essential memory and “memory extinction,” forgetting what’s not important to remember.
How does the ECS do all these things? By acting as a master regulator for your body.